Why taking extra care of your oral health is important in this covid 19 pandemic lockdown ?
As we all know that things have changed as whole world is dealing with this covid 19 pandemic and several countries imposed a lockdown, despite global efforts to control the disease the outbreak is still on rise because of the community spread pattern of this infection ,things have changed as our daily routine but remember it’s just temporary and later or sooner everything is going to be normal . Despite all this ,taking care of your health is important in every possible ways including your oral health.
In this covid 19 pandemic taking extra care of your oral health is important because all the dental non emergency treatment has been postponed until things get in controlled as dentist are at highest risk as they deal with aerosol which means dealing with air and water droplets in patients mouth which will be more risk to a dentist , dental assistant and also patient .
Instruction to follow to avoid dental emergency.
1) Wash your hands for atleast 20 seconds before and after your use of personal dental care.
2) Wash and keep your toothbrush , dental floss and tongue cleaners covered after use.
3) Brush your teeth twice daily for atleast 2 minutes which should clean all the surface of your teeth with soft bristle brush.
4) Use toothpaste and mouthwash which has fluoride in it which will help to prevent tooth decay.
5) Dental floss should be used once a day which will help to remove bacteria and plaque in places where your brush can’t reach.
6) Don’t eat sugary foods and acidic drinks which will weaken your enamel of your teeth leading to cavity.
7) Eat high- fibre foods which will help to keep saliva flowing which helps create mineral defenses against tooth decay.
8) Avoid smoking as it will limit blood flow to your mouth and make it easier for bacteria to grow and also it leads to bad breath .
9) Drink plenty of water to keep your mouth hydrated .
10) Don’t chew on ice cubes or anything hard which may lead to fracture of your tooth.
Know what is dental emergency ?
As many dental clinics are closed and in some clinics only emergency cases are being handled .Many dentist are communicating with patient over phone or video conferencing.
Severe Pain- if you have mild or moderate pain then that can be relieved by medicines .Contact your dentist for the medicine and the appropriate dosage. But if you have dental pain which is unbearable even after taking medicine then contact your dentist and take appointment. If you have any fever, sore throat then let your dentist know about it.
Pain and swelling (facial swelling) – early management of acute dental emergencies is important as to avoid hospital admission. If you notice any swelling at initial stage then don’t avoid it better consult your dentist and take medicines at early stage , but if you have facial swelling with difficulty in breathing then it’s an emergency so contact your dentist and make an appointment prior to visit any dental clinic.
DENTAL PROBLEMS THAT CAN BE MANAGEABLE AT HOME.
Sensitivity –if your teeth are sensitive to hot or cold food then use desensitizing toothpaste which will help you to relief from sensation caused by sensitive teeth.
Food lodgement / gum irritation- dental floss or interdental toothbrush can be used to get rid of food lodged in between teeth . Avoid using toothpick or any sharp tip to remove lodged food between the teeth as it may lead to gum bleeding and pain.
Trauma/dental injury- if you experience any dental injury or any trauma to your mouth , contact your dentist for guidance. Your dentist will evaluate your situation and recommend next step.
Mouth ulcer pain- any pain in soft tissue areas or any ulcer can be relieved by medicated oral gels. It is always better to consult your dentist and take an advice.
Bad breath – Use fluoridated mouthwash and brush your teeth twice daily with soft bristle brush, scrape your tongue daily.
NOTE : if you have any other dental issues or require any dental care then visit us online www.dentindentalcare.com